Tifway 419 Bermuda
Tifway 419 is an improved hybrid Bermuda developed from the famed Tifton, Georgia turf‑breeding program. It has a dark green color and low growth habit. Tifway 419 is used for many applications, but it is best known in the South for its use on golf courses and sports fields. It is also the most widely used Bermuda grass in Texas. This variety is dense, has excellent wear resistance, and is able to quickly recover from damage. It has poor shade tolerance.
SpecsTifway 419 Bermuda Specs
- Dark Green color
- Fine texture, thin leaf blades (2.2mm)
- Grows from above-ground runners (stolens) and below-ground shoots (rhisomes)
- Recommended for full sun exposure
- Heat and drought tolerant; can withstand temperatures in excess of 100°F
- More cold tolerant than Celebration
- Good wear resistance; performs well in high‑traffic areas
- Adapts well in most soil conditions
Tifway 419 Bermuda Care
- In Spring and Summer, mow 3/4″ to 2″ every 3-5 days or as needed. Do not scalp. Never remove more than 1/3 of leaf blade in any single mowing. In Fall and Winter, mow every 7-10 days or as needed.
- In Spring, apply a complete fertilizer with a ratio of 16-4-8 (N-P-K) or a balanced, slow-release fertilizer with a ratio of 10-10-10. Perform soil analysis for best results. In later months, more Nitrogen can be applied to reach desired color.
- At least 1″ of water weekly is recommended to keep optimal appearance and to resist disease and pests. However, in periods of drought or high temperatures, grass will need to be watered more often. Water when leaf blades wilt.