Raleigh St. Augustine
Raleigh is our most popular turfgrass. It is primarily used for residential and commercial sites. It has a medium to dark green color with wide leaf blades and a high shade tolerance. Raleigh is a relatively aggressive grass that spreads quickly by above-ground runners called stolens. The grass will form a dense lawn that handles moderate traffic. It adapts well from coastal regions to the North Texas areas.
Raleigh St. Augustine Specs
- Beautiful dark green color
- Coarse texture, wide leaf blades (9-10mm)
- Grows from above-ground runners (stolens)
- High shade tolerance
- Good cold tolerance
- Adapts well in most soil conditions
Raleigh St. Augustine Care
- Spring and Summer, mow 2-3″ every 7-10 days or as needed, slightly higher in shade. Do not scalp. Never remove more than 1/3 of leaf blade in any single mowing. In Fall and Winter, mow every 10-14 days or as needed.
- Requires 2-3 fertilizer applications per year, with a fertilizer ratio of 3-1-2 (N-P-K) and a slow-release nitrogen source.
- Requires half as much potassium (K) as nitrogen (N) to maintain growth. Nitrogen contributes to color and potassium increases root growth, cold tolerance, and drought tolerance. Phosphorus (P) usually not required unless soil test shows phosphorus missing or low.
- At least 1″ of water weekly is recommended to keep optimal appearance and to resist disease and pests. However, in periods of drought or high temperatures, grass will need to be watered more often. Water when leaf blades wilt.